October 21, 2017

More on M: Part III

It’s been around two years since we last sat down with Marina to chat about her life, likes and dislikes, and just how things are going. Of course, the past 15 months have been spent in India, and that has certainly added some spice to her life. We proudly bring you the third installment of “More on M.”
What's been the hardest thing for you since we last spoke?
I took some swimming lessons in Japan before we moved to India, but I wasn’t a good swimmer when I started at the international school. In fact, I was afraid to swim in the pool. But my friends at my new school —Korean, Japanese and Indian kids— helped me learn to swim during lessons at school. Dunking my head underwater has been one of the hardest things I have overcome.
Trying very spicy Indian food is difficult sometimes.
What are three things that make you unlike any other kid at your school?
Well, my beauty mark makes me unique and that makes me feel happy.
There are not very many bicultural kids in my school. We all play together anyway.
When I came to India I could not speak English very well and other kids had to help me. Now, I can speak English and I help other kids. It makes me feel good to help them.

Who are your favorite clothes these days?
I really like my light green strawberry shirt, and the crazy Goa navy blue shirt.
Embarrassing habits?
I still pick my nose but I don’t eat it now (laughs). I still sleep with Mommy a lot.

What's your favorite ice cream/comfort food?
I love chocolate ice cream and watermelon gummies the best.

Who is more fun to play with, boys or girls?
Still girls. Because I am a girl and I feel more comfortable because we like to play the same games.

Are you more of a guys' girl or still a girls' girl?
Actually, I strike the balance between both.
What's your average day like?
I get up at 0630. Change clothes and do bed jumps with Dad. Then I eat breakfast, which is usually rice with vegetables. I comb my hair and brush my teeth. Then I leave and go to school in the car.
This is my Patti Smith look
I usually walk into school with Elena, and then go my classroom by myself. Then I start cursive writing until the teacher comes to class around 0815 or so. She calls the roll and we start the day. Typical classes are English, gym (PE applications, which is squash right now), then we have snack time. We also have a computer class, gym class, then back to classroom to do mathematics, social studies, and buddy reading with older reading partner. It’s all mixed.
I come home at 4 o’clock. I go to Kumon some days and other days I play. After the lessons, we eat together with friends at the ice cream restaurant.
Generally, I am happy at school these days. I especially like free play after lunch.
Courtesy of Nickelodeon
What are you reading lately?
The Family Critters, Flat Man and Black Forest (in school), and still love SpongeBob SquarePants, and Disney books, with Dad at home.
Tell us about the past year in India. What have you learned?
I have learned a lot about Indian people. Most of it I learned from my very nice teachers and other kids in my class. They know about me. The teachers taught me that Indian people are funny, and they are very flexible, use the word “tikke” a lot. The other kids in my class give me cereal chocolate snacks and share them with me. I share Japanese snacks with them, but they don’t like them so much. I like Indian warm weather, it is a comfortable country. But sometimes the air is pretty brown here. 

No comments: