July 31, 2018

Things I did while my family was away for six weeks this summer

I am not allowed to post photos of the ladies in my life without prior permission. 
So, some of things I did while they were away for the summer were:
-BreAk ThE RuLes
- I did my laundry. Once. 
Courtesy of Viacom int'l
- Finished the shakedown cruises on my used motorcycle. Two-wheeled motorvatin' again.
- Walked around the inside of the house naked. OK, I actually didn’t do that. Or maybe I did. Either way, live with that image in your head.
- Successfully repaired bald spots on my front lawn with new grass. Yes, I was occasionally so bored I actually worried about my lawn.
- Completed my Pleasure Craft Operator Card online course. This is the first step toward my dream of sailing the seas upon retirement. Powerball, Lotto 6/49--whatever works first.
- Watched an awful lot of Atlanta Braves night games. Thanks, Ted Turner.
- Didn’t watch a single game of the World Cup; I had zero enthusiasm. I played soccer through high school, but I cannot watch it on TV for some reason.
- I didn’t have to clear my browser history every day.
- Started jogging again. Honest, cross my heart. Still a work in progress, but it’s a start (again).
- Fed the two rabbits living in the grove behind our home almost every day. They are early risers like me. When the Zombies come, they're at least two meals’ worth.
- Went to a concert co-headlined by 1990s alt-rock royalty Weezer and The Pixies. I have always loved The Pixies and now consider myself a Weezer fan. 
But I will NEVER take the I-24 home ever again at night while on a motorcycle. Major pucker factor cruising at 70 mph on a dark interstate highway with 18-wheelers barreling up on my six. Great concert. Nasty, frightening midnight ride home.

And on another note…
Spaceman for Governor
Politics is a blood sport these days in the USA. The contrarian in me loves that the gubernatorial election here in Tennessee has a candidate named Bill Lee. 
Why? I see lawn signs with his name and I giggle because all I can think of is ex-Montreal Expos and Boston Red Sox lefty Bill "Spaceman" Lee.
The Spaceman’s worldview and antics – his irreverent attitude to life, unvarying love of the game -- influenced me after I read “The Wrong Stuff” decades ago. It is one of the more entertaining baseball books I've ever read.

The “baseball” Bill Lee is the perfect foil to the odorous bouquet clinging to contemporary politics. 
Happy summer, ya'll.

No comments: