September 28, 2019

Summer 2019 Sliders

I had no idea what “sliders” were when I first saw them on a menu in Nashville. I discovered that the White Castle hamburger chain popularized sliders starting in the Depression era. They are cheap miniature hamburgers that were soon nicknamed sliders because they are so greasy and small you can easily slide ‘em into your stomach. 
Courtesy of The Krystal Company
I’ve learned they can keep right on going downward until sliding out yer ass. In short, they are five stars yummy, but occasionally colon blow. Not unlike these blogposts of mine.

What follows are a few Rising Family™ summer 2019 summaries.

I ask you: who doesn't love summer? The warmth, the sensation of the sun on your skin, watersports, BBQ, camping, the freedom of romping outdoors whenever you want. You need more reasons? How about riding on motorcycles wearing only a T-shirt and shorts. Jumping off a cliff into a cool lake. Humidity like lanolin on your skin. That certain clean feeling after a mid-afternoon shower. Then heading outside for more heat. 

I love Nashville summers. The summer of 2019 did not disappoint. In fun ways through to the mundane, I had a great time. Here are a few reasons why.


The Almighty Lawn
In my youth, I mowed my parents' lawn and thought it wasn't worth the trouble. Now in middle age, I revel in keeping the weeds at bay and resurrecting our rented home’s neglected Bermuda grass. Southerners love their lawns and mini John Deere mowers. I caught the fever. 


Canada Day
We are modestly patriotic, we Canucks. Once overseas, we recognize what a great thing we have going in the Great White North and raise our flag-waving game. I made my point with my American co-workers on July 1. I declared my office a temporary Honourary Consulate of Canada for the day. We avoided diplomatic rancor. Laughter is the best way to achieve a constructive bilateral relationship.


Going to Memphis
Mr. Maczynski, a co-worker from South Africa, was on a temporary assignment at my office during the summer. I took him on a music-inspired tour of Memphis during the Independence Day long weekend. We toured Graceland and Sun Studio, ate hyper-local wet BBQ, drank local craft beers, and rocked it. 
I saw parts of Memphis’s storied musical history that I otherwise would not have had the chance to see. Thanks, Kyle! Even the night drive back to Nashville on the I-40 was exciting. A flash thunderstorm and mega rain made one stretch super-adrenalized. Rock and roll.


Kentucky Fried Carburetor
With no family around, I was free to hit the road on weekends. In July, thoroughly enjoyed a motorcycle tour north to Kentucky on Hobo Bike accompanied by William Matsusiak. For shaved ice. And for fun.

No comments: