September 28, 2023

SuikaMan's Summer Lament

Summer is officially done. Over with. Kaput! Autumnal Equinox Day in Japan was on September 23, 2023. Locally known as "Shubun no Hi," this day signifies the sun's southern crossing of the celestial equator, signaling the transition from summer to autumn. So be it. Still, in spite of this astronomical milestone, often the thermometer in Yokohama stubbornly reads 30 degrees at midday, though the air feels less humid. Howzat?!

Even as the warmth lingers, I can't deny that the hardcore, intense summer heat is finally behind us for the year. As the autumn leaves start to dabble the Yokohama cityscape with vibrant color, I find myself bidding it farewell. And so goes my honorary title--SuikaMan. My daughters semi-sarcastically dubbed me SuikaMan because of my watermelon obsession. "Suika" means watermelon in Japanese. It isn't uncommon for me to devour watermelon for breakfast or indulge in multiple suika popsicle treats. 

Credit: Starbucks Corporation
I even succumbed to the temptation of Starbuck's overpriced watermelon-flavored Frappuccino--which, I must admit, was quite tasty.

There were the annual unmistakable signs that summer was fading.
First, the symphony of cicadas serenading me to sleep in August faded into the distance, marking the end of the Sound of Summer.
Then, weeks ago, convenience stores stopped sales of Suica Bars, those sugar-fruity ice bar delights shaped like a slice of watermelon. I have earned a reputation among local convenience store owners as the crazy foreigner who would buy their remaining stock of Suica Bars at the first hint of the seasonal end of sales of these magnificent creations.

Thus, it is that time of the year when I take off my watermelon crown and contemplate wearing pants again on weekends.
I had one last hurrah during a recent trip that enabled me to savor the steamy heat and the luscious tastes of summer. One more fruity feast before the chill of fall clutches me in her chilly embrace.

Lucky me!
###

No comments: