April 22, 2024

Honoring Mom Ten Years On


"Life is for the living." It's something my mom would say long before she herself became ill. Today marks the tenth anniversary of her death. As I look back and collect my thoughts, I'm drawn to fond memories that highlight her vibrant spirit, admirable character, and the lasting impact she had on those she loved.

I often catch myself echoing the parental wisdom I heard during my childhood, passed down by both my mom and dad. "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." When necessary, she'd remind me: "Honesty is the best policy even though it's tough sometimes." And of course, the classic old saw: "If your friends jumped off a cliff, would you do it too?" One original life lesson was to occasionally do something wacky on a whim and not worry about what others think because "Who cares? Nobody remembers embarrassing details after a few years." As I approached adulthood, her guidance was steadfast, for example with this perceptive offer during my teenage years: "If you drink too much, don't drive home, and call me. I'll pick you up any hour. You get one free pass."

I find comfort in the zesty way she lived her life. Her love for maintaining a welcoming home, nurturing a beautiful garden, and being friendly to strangers remain enduring examples. She always showed remarkable resilience during the inevitable tough times everybody experiences in life.

Some of her original quips bring her presence closer: "Let's just stop for a quick tea and a smoke." When skiing: "I'm cold, so I'll go and have tea at the chalet for a bit. You guys go ahead and have fun." (That meant she was done for the day, heh heh.) And who could forget her annual declaration that Thanksgiving dinner was her favorite, soon followed by her willingness to bake endless batches of shortbread cookies for Christmas.

Although my daughters only had a short time to experience their "Canada Nana," I'm heartened when they remember the mementos she gave them. Nana adored them and thought ahead.

Her legacy of love, strength, and kindness continues. Ten years may have passed since she left us, and we miss her, but her spirit lives on in the way we live our lives to the fullest. As I honor her memory, I take equal measures of delight and gratitude when thinking about the past. That, I believe, is a true tribute to her.

💖

No comments: